To promote and deliver quality teaching and effective learning of English and to support the wider aims of British Council and its cultural relations mission. This is an on going call for applications.
Our team currently consists of over 20 full-time teachers from a variety of nationalities and ten hourly-paid teachers. We are looking to expand our capacity by creating a pool of hourly-paid teachers who can be called upon to help us respond to the needs of our ever-increasing portfolio of clients.
Our customers are individuals, commercial companies, non-governmental organisations and government ministries in Sudan. We teach General English, Business English and English for Specific Purposes to adults of all levels of proficiency; beginners to advanced. We also have a young learners' programme which includes a Summer School and English courses for learners aged 6-17.
Teaching takes place either in our teaching centre or off-site in clients' premises. The majority of classes take place in the evening from 6.30 pm to 8.30 pm though we also have morning classes.
Our methodology is firmly seated in the Communicative Language Teaching approach with its emphasis on communicative competence. A large portion of class time is devoted to interactive communicative activities and task-based learning. Grammatical awareness is heightened by guided discovery methods where students are led to notice patterns rather than being taught grammatical rules.
Hourly-paid teachers are paid in US Dollars. This payment includes planning, preparation and assessment duties. Teachers also benefit from access to a huge collection of resources, self-development materials and training opportunities.
You will be responsible for:
- planning, preparing and delivering quality English language classes and materials, and providing an environment conducive to communicative learning
- monitoring and giving feedback on student performance and encouraging student autonomy
- completing administrative tasks associated with teaching duties and fulfilling the terms of contracts signed with clients.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
You should have:
- a TEFL qualification e.g. CELTA, Trinity Cert. TESOL, Delta or Trinity Dip. TESOL
- the right to work in Sudan.
We cannot guarantee being able to offer you any work as availability of work is dependent on demand from our clients.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying to join our teacher pool, please send a completed application form (please see below) confirming your desire to apply to: TeacherRecruitment@britishcouncil.org
If we are satisfied with your qualifications and experience:
- we will call you to the office for an interview and arrange for a lesson observation and feedback
- ask you to teach a lesson which will be observed by two teachers
- if we are satisfied with your teaching, we will put you on our list of pool teachers - following satisfactory references and administrative checks
- we will contact you when suitable teaching opportunities arise.
There is no specific deadline, this in an ongoing call for application.